Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Unit 2 essay Nutrition

What are your eating habits?
There is an epidemic going on in America right now and very little people even notice it or try and make a difference. If you go to the mall or any public place over half of the population is overweight and or obese. The diseases that are arising from obesity and poor diets like heart attack, hypertension, diabetes, depression, anxiety, kidney/liver disease, cholesterol is outrageous. Americans are consuming fast fried processed foods that are unnatural and provide little to no nutrition just are “good tasting”. Many of the common solutions today are diet pills that are harmful to the body and surgeries like gastric bypass surgery that alters your body. The human body is perfect and altering it to stop bad habits or ignorance is not a good enough reason for me.
Instead we stand together and help each other, starting with our children. Today in schools gym class has been limited to one day a week and the cafeteria food isn‘t all the great. Young children are being diagnosed with atherosclerosis (clogged arteries), are obese and unhappy with themselves. In my town the vending machines are now water and juice instead of soda which is a good start but more needs to be done to teach our children about health. Gym class should be mandatory everyday and consist of health education. If we can teach our children about what our bodies need and what is harmful then we can change their future.
The next step is too eliminate eating at those fast food joints and instead make time to cook a balanced meal from natural foods. One of the major problems is that Americans think it is too time consuming to make a healthy meal so they just throw the frozen pizza in the oven and call it good. When this is your life you are talking about. I believe that if everyone starts to take concern about themselves and their loved ones this obesity epidemic will go away. Teach your children and yourself how to make a home cooked meal with vegetables and essential grains not how to order a double whopper with a high cholesterol and clogged arteries on the side.
We are what we eat and we are eating ourselves to death. I believe as humans we should help our selves by gaining knowledge about what we are eating and how much we are eating in contrast to what a healthy intake is. Over the past few years I have become really aware of how poorly people eat and that most of them eat for pleasure not health, and don’t realize or care about the consequences. The more people become aware of the risks involved and the more our children are taught, the obesity epidemic will go away or at least be minimized. Personally I come from a family of vegetarians and I have been to expo after expo about eating healthy and taking care of yourself. Last summer I went to an expo that really enlightened me and showed me how a change of diet can save your life. Since this last expo my parents and I really decided to make the diet change and start taking my grandmothers advice (vegetarian for 30 years) and my dad no longer has asthma, my mom has lost weight and lowered her cholesterol and I no longer suffer from chronic depression. We all look and feel great and the food taste great too. To be healthy you don’t have to eat carrots for dinner there are tons of great quick meals you can make that are healthy. Society needs to look at themselves for help not to pills and surgery.






1 comment:

Laurel Murray said...

After reading your essay, I felt that is was of exemplary status.
I felt that the two best feutures of your essay were organization of your essay and the examples you used in regards to the issue. It was clear and easy to understand, which made me really enthralled with what you had to say. And, the examples you used, like how food is being eaten for pleasure, not health and that everyone should stadnd together and teach their children good eating habits.
I did not feel like your essay needed any improvements. I thought it was very straight forward and really examined the issue.
I did learn something new about your essay that caused me to reflect upon, and that was the fact that children are being diagnosed with atherosclerosis. Children! I thought that was a disease that happened much later in life. That really made me question what the heck are we doing to our bodies and our children's bodies!
And, the thing that most surprised me was from your personal experiences of no longer suffering from chronic depression due to your healthy eating habits. And, the fact that your grandmother has been vegetarian for 30 years! That is amazing! I plan to become vegetarian again as soon as my daughter stops breatfeeding. It is definitly a great way to live healthy!
Good job on your essay!