Thursday, June 28, 2007

Unit 2 Lab project exercise physiology

Unit 2 Lab Project Metabolic Parameters
This lab project demonstrates how metabolic rates are influenced when performing various tasks. In this experiment I will be recording basic vital signs to determine if metabolic parameters changed from resting to active state. This is because as more energy is used the more oxygen that is needed for cellular respiration. As more oxygen is needed respiration rates will increase. Pulse will increase due to the heart pumping more blood to absorb the incoming oxygen and circulate the oxygen rich blood to the cells so they can produce more ATP molecules (energy). Blood pressure will increase since the heart is working faster and harder to circulate the blood to the cells.


Hypothesis
I believe that after performing each exercise my metabolic parameters will all increase. I think that jumping jacks will influence metabolic parameters more than sit ups or stair climbing but overall they will increase from resting state. This increase blood pressure as well.



Materials and Methods
The materials I will be using are a blood pressure cuff, sit up machine and stairs. With assistance of my sister I will be taking my heart and respiration rate as well as my blood pressure after each exercise. I will start off by resting for five minutes to get an accurate resting heart rate respiration rate and blood pressure. Then I will perform each activity three times recording my metabolic rates. Between each activity I will rest allowing my metabolic rates to return to resting state.

Above is initial resting rate. The Blood pressure cuff records my systolic and diastolic pressure along with heart rate per minute. I measured my respirations using a wrist watch.
























Above is demonstrating my first activity. I ran up and down the stairs for one minute and then I recorded my metabolic rates (pulse, blood pressure, and respirations). This was repeated a total of three times recording metabolic rates after each rep. I then rested until my heart rate came down and I felt relaxed. My metabolic rates where recorded again.














Above is activity 2 Sit ups which I also performed three reps for a minute each and recorded the metabolic rates after each time. Then waited until my heart rate came down and I felt rested and recorded my metabolic rates again.


















This is my third and final activity jumping jacks. This too was performed three times for a minute each recording metabolic rates after each one.

Data


METABOLIC RATE DATA TABLE

Graph of Means for each activity


The above graph shows how the rates changed when performing physical activites. The first two show the resting rates and the average rates taken after running the stairs. My pulse went up from 89 beats per minute to 145, blood pressure increase 97/63 to 122/64, and respirations increased 20-39 per minute. While the middle two are the resting rates and average rates taken after doing sit ups. Here too the metabolic rates increased, pulse 107 resting to 119 per minute, blood pressure 96/66 resting to 103/60 and respirtations 24 to 33 per minute. Finally the last set is the resting and average rates for jumping jacks. With pulse at 98 resting to 144 per minute, blood pressure 96/68 to 108/54 and respirations 24 to 39 per minute. Climbing the stairs restulted in a higher increase in all metabolic rates from the resting rates. Which is not what I had predicted since I thought jumping jacks were going to be the most strenuous, so my hypothesis was incorrect. I also predicted that all three activities would increase my metabolic rates and they did so my hypothesis was correct.
Data or technique problems
If I were to do this experiment again I would have changed it by letting my metabolic rates return to resting state after each rep as well as between each activity. This I think would provide more accurate results on how metabolic rates where influenced by each activity. I also would record the recovery time how long it took after each individual rep and activity it took my body to return to the same resting state.
Conclusion
Even though half of my hypothsis was correct and the other half incorrect overall this experiment showed how metabolic rates are influenced by physical activities. With each activity my heart rate and respirations continued to increase with each rep demonstrating my bodies need for more oxygen rich blood. This is because the more ATP molecules (energy) I burned off the more the cells need oxygen to produce more. Blood pressure was effected and increased because as the bodies demand for more blood increase the faster and harder the heart pumped. The systolic pressure is the how much force is being pushed out of the heart and against the wall of a blood vessel. Meaning that the faster and harder the heart works the high the blood pressure. The diastolic pressure measures the pressure of blood flow when the heart ventricles are relaxed.


No comments: